Friday 9 January 2015

A little imagination can be dangerous

I once had a foolish debate with a friend where I claimed that I'd rather read the Communist Manifesto than The Lord Of The Rings...

If my memory is correct, the argument was about possible links between faith and imagination. My friend wanted to suggest that mythical stories and our ability to wonder are the seeds of spiritual belief. He had a strong case but I was strongly against the notion. And I think I still am.

There are likely to be more links between faith and imagination than I'll ever understand, we have to conceive of something in order to believe it. Surely the best example would be the Genesis where all Creation is simply spoken into reality. (Does God imagine things first? I'm not sure...) Certainly, if we cannot marvel and imagine we have no hope. It may be impossible to perceive any reason for being without a sense of wonderment. Reaching into the concept of God, the universe or any other mystery would be beyond us.

Perhaps ideas are made to be broken?
Perhaps ideas are
made to be broken?
But my problem is more fundamental than this... I'm too much of a daydreamer already!

Sometimes, when I pray or meditate, my mind will wander off down paths I have no intention of travelling. It can be a struggle to wrestle my focus back onto ethereal realities. I wouldn't say I have a strong imagination but it's always been easy for me to get distracted. Even as a young boy I would get lost, possibly for hours, just while putting on my socks. To put it another way, for me, faith doesn't need more imagination, it needs cold solid truth.

I cannot afford to base my faith on things I merely imagine. That place is uncomfortable for me. I need a bit of practical, gritty reality if I am going to take a stance that will influence my life decisions.

The Communist Manifesto is itself a wonderful exercise of the imagination. It is an inspiring piece of writing, but I think this was partially my point... If imagination is necessary for faith to exist then it needs to be visionary and full of pragmatism - not simply wild, fanciful notions. Any idea must be tested and proved by harsh truth until it truly becomes something that inspires not only the imagination but our hearts and our commitment as well. Some might even point to Marx's work and say a little imagination can be a dangerous thing, but then at least Marx knew he was being dangerous.

I'd rather quote the engraving that lives above the fireplace in a church hall I visit:

"He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."

I do not fear imagination, I simply need to understand the truth of things to find a firm foundation for my faith. And where I discover truth, I am only too pleased to revel in the divinity of it with abandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment