Tuesday 27 January 2015

The Confessional Part 2: Faith finds a way

(I want to post something which counterbalances yesterday's confession...)

The other day my friend got trapped in our bathroom.

I'll admit, the door lock probably did need a little oiling, but it was the first time it had jammed this badly.

It's one of those humourous episodes. Everything's going wrong, and you know you'll look back and laugh, but at the time you can't escape that feeling of desperation.

After much banging and shaking, unscrewing bits and bobs and several crazy escape plans, we finally managed to free him from his temporary jail.

When the door won't open


One day, the door will open up...

Yesterday, I expressed how, when it comes to faith, I often feel locked in, locked down or maybe just shut out from something greater. All my attempts fall short of reaching the goal I feel drawn to. It is as if I've been shut in a darkened room on a bright summer's day. You just know it shouldn't be that way.

But here's the thing. Being blocked from God doesn't worry me completely. I know that the sun still heats the outer walls of my room, and even though I'm desperate I can somehow tell I won't always be locked in. One day I know I'll look back and laugh. It's just that I haven't found a way to open the door yet.

Faith is a curious thing. It is like a muscle, the more you use it the better it works, but also, when it gets injured it takes a long time to heal. I think that's the situation between me and God.

I am confident I will find a way to unlock this door... especially if there are friends on the outside, calling to me, doing what they can to let me know it's okay and that there's still an alternative perspective on the other side of the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment